Barolo & Barbaresco tour - November 2020 (DEPOSIT per person)
November 8–14, 2020 (6 nights, 7 days)
$3,199.00 per person, double occupancy (private room)
$3,499.00 per person, single occupancy (private room)
- Deposit of $1,200.00 per person reserves your spot. Balance is due 45 days before the tour departure date
- Boutique small group tour (max 20 guests)
- Hosted by New York Wine Events and Ron Goerler (founder/owner of Jamesport Vineyards, North Fork of Long Island) and Sam Kimball (founder of New York Wine Events)
- 6 nights, 7 days
- 14 meals & food tastings and 5 premium wine tastings included throughout the week
- 1 night in Milan, 4 nights in Barolo, 1 night in Turin
- Arrival airport Milan (MXP or LIN); departure airport Turin (TRN) or Milan.
ITINERARY & ACTIVITIES:
Day 1 - ARRIVAL DAY (Meals included: none)
- AM: Arrival at Milan airport (MXP) on your own. Private transfers from the airport available upon request (not included).
- 3:00 PM Check-in at our 4-star hotel in the city center of Milan.
- Enjoy this day at leisure to recover from jet-lag. A list of things to do will be provided as well the possibility to join a private tour guide for the tour of the Cathedral of Milan.
- PM: Dinner on your own.
Day 2 - NORTHERN PIEDMONT (Meals included: breakfast, food bites and dinner)
- 9:00 AM Breakfast and check-out.
- 10:00 AM Depart for the Northern part of the Piedmont region, where Nebbiolo grapes are cultivated at the foot of the Alps.
- 11:30 AM Nebbiolo wine producer: a tour of the cellar and tasting of 4 wines paired with salami, cheese and other food bites (this is not a full lunch but enough to hold you over until dinner).
- 1:30 PM Depart for Southern Piedmont (1.5 hours drive).
- 3:15 PM Climb the 1100s tower of Barbaresco for a first introduction to the region. Enjoy an aperitif with wine and local appetizers surrounded by 360 views over the hills of Piedmont.
- 5:00 PM Drive to Barolo (20 min.).
- 5:30 PM Check-in at Hotel Brezza Barolo.
- 7:30 PM Traditional dinner at the restaurant of the hotel, overlooking the castle of Barolo.
Day 3 - BAROLO (Meals included: breakfast and dinner)
- 9:00 AM Breakfast.
- 10:00 AM Depart by bus to the nearby area of production of the famous Barolo wine. Enjoy a panoramic bus ride on some of the most picturesque country roads across the eleven municipalities where this wine can obtain the DOCG appellation. Take a stroll with our tour guide around the impressive medieval fortress of Serralunga d'Alba (outside only).
- 11:00 AM Visit a boutique Barolo winery and enjoy a tasting of four premium wines paired with small food bites.
- 1:00 PM Lunch on your own in one of the towns of the Barolo area. Explore the town of Barolo and enjoy some free time.
- 2:30 PM Visit a second Barolo winery and enjoy a tasting of four wines including two unique single-vineyards.
- 4:30 PM Return to the hotel for a short rest before going out again for dinner.
- 6:00 PM Drive to Alba and follow the tour guide on an informative walk in the town center.
- 7:30 PM Dinner is served in a restaurant of Alba located in the ancient cellar of Roman origins.
Day 4 - TRUFFLES AND SPARKLING WINES (Meals included: breakfast and lunch
- 9:00 AM Breakfast.
- 10:00 AM Drive about 40 minutes to a local truffle farm.
Follow truffle hunter on a walk in the woods, explaining how truffles grow and other interesting facts about training the truffle dog. Watch the hunter harvest truffles as the dog finds them.
- 12:00 PM Home-made lunch in the cozy restaurant of the truffle farm, featuring two (of the four courses) with black truffle and seasonal vegetables.
- 2:00 PM Drive to the picturesque town of Canelli (30 minutes).
- 2:30 PM Guided tour of the underground cellars of Contratto, the famous and long-lasting producer of Italian "spumante" (sparkling wine). Tasting of 3 sparkling wines with breadsticks, salami and cheese (small bites).
- 4:00 PM Drive back to Barolo.
- 6:30 PM Dinner on your own in town.
Day 5 - CHEESE AND BARBERA WINE (Meals included: breakfast, cheese tasting and dinner)
- 8:00 AM Breakfast.
- 9:00 AM Depart for the historic town of Asti.
- 9:45 AM Guided tour of the medieval city centre of Asti, once a powerful independent city-state. The walking tour will include the covered food market for a look to the local produce, as well as the highly decorated Cathedral, the largest Gothic church of the region.
- 12:00 PM Drive to a nearby town where an experienced cheese refiner ages cheese in his cellar. Tasting of 4 types of cheese with breadsticks and wine, led by the cheese refiner in person.
- 2:00 PM Travel to a Barbera winery (about 30 minutes).
- 2:45 PM Visit this family-run boutique cellar and enjoy a tasting of 4 premium wines including Barbera d'Asti aged on oak.
- 4:30 PM Return to Barolo.
- 6:30 PM Walk to Marchesi di Barolo, the most historical cellar of the area, where Barolo wine was aged for the first time in the XIX century.
Short tour of the cellar followed by dinner in the private dining room of the winery. Each of the four courses will be paired with different wines including Barolo.
Walk back to the hotel (10 min.).
Day 6 - TURIN (Meals included: breakfast and dinner)
- 8:00 AM Breakfast and check out
- 8:30 AM Drive to Turin (1 hour).
- 9:45 AM Enjoy an informative city tour by bus with our city guide. Continue on foot through the elegant squares and streets of Turin, the former first Capital of Italy.
- 11:30 AM Sit down and indulge in the so-called "bicerin", a glass with hot chocolate and coffee, served with two traditional cookies of Turin.
- 1:00 PM While the luggage is delivered to our hotel in the city center, the rest of the day is yours for some shopping, perhaps a tour of the Egyptian museum (second largest in the world) or the Car museum or maybe ride the glass elevator to the top of the former Jewish synagogue. Check-in at Hotel Concord at your convenience after 2 PM.
- 6:00 PM Follow your tour guide for our Farewell dinner, a fine-dining experience (in a walking distance from the hotel), set in an exclusive location.
Day 7 - ARRIVEDERCI (Meals included: breakfast)
- Breakfast and check-out.
- Transportation from hotel to Milan Airport (MXP) included, via private bus.